Description: Orpin's House
Date Listed: 18 April 1952
English Heritage Building ID: 312524
OS Grid Reference: ST8236860881
OS Grid Coordinates: 382368, 160881
Latitude/Longitude: 51.3467, -2.2545
1. CHURCH STREET
5411 (North Side)
No 8 (Orpin's House)
ST 8260 2/18 18.4.52.
Late C17. Ashlar, stone-tiled roof, rusticated quoins. 2 storeys and
attics in 2 gables. 3 windows 2-light casements with stone mullions and
architrave surrounds, windows leaded. Two small square window openings,
glazed with bottle glass, between centre window and side windows on lst
floor. Moulded string at first floor level and moulded cornice at attic
floor level. Stone door surround with Tuscan pilasters, architrave, frieze
with triglyphs and guttae, and flat cornice. Semi-circular-headed doorway
with keystone and imposts. Square ashlar stacks at gable ends. In this
house lived Edward Orpin, for 40 years Parish Clerk of Bradford-on-Avon
(died 1781). He was the original of Gainsborough's painting "The Parish
Clerk" in the National Gallery.
All the listed buildings in Church Street the Chantry Little Chantry,
Barton Orchard and the Catholic Church of St Thomas More, Market Street
form a group with Nos 7 and 9 to 19 Barton Orchard, Nos 5 and 6 and 27
to 31 (consec) and wall Newtown.
Listing NGR: ST8236960883
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.