Description: Holy Trinity Church Hall
Date Listed: 18 April 1952
English Heritage Building ID: 312536
OS Grid Reference: ST8250860979
OS Grid Coordinates: 382508, 160979
Latitude/Longitude: 51.3476, -2.2525
1. CHURCH STREET
5411 (North Side)
Holy Trinity Church Hall
(Formerly listed as The
Old Church House)
ST 8260 2/41 18.4.52.
Early C16 (founded 1500, restored 1925). Originally used as Church House
for parish business. Later turned into cottages and for some years after
1715 used as school. Part of building is now Masonic Temple. Roughly
T-shaped in plan, rubble with ashlar quoins, high-pitched stone-tiled
roofs. Long portion is 2 storey and on south elevation has 3 windows
and 3 doors. Transverse portion single-storey with gable. Ground floor
windows in long portion are 3-light leaded casements with stone mullions
and 4-centred heads in rectangular drip-moulds (restored). 1st floor
windows are 2-light ditto, except centre window which has 4 lights. A
weathered string at lst floor window sill level is carried round gable
end of transverse portion and forms rectangular dripmould over a large
3-light double-transomed window (restored) with stone mullions. In gable
above is an original 2-light window with stone mullions and dripmould.
All doorways have 4-centred heads in rectangular dripmoulds. There are
3 2-stage buttresses with weatherings on south side of long portion and
4 ditto along gable end of transverse portion, where there is also a deep
weather-moulded plinth course. In the west gable end is a restored 3-light
stone mullioned casement on each floor and a single-light in gable above.
On the ground floor is also a narrow, single-light "dole" window with
bars. In the eastern wall are some blocked original windows and portions
of the tracery remain. Interior: The ground floor room in the 2-storey
portion has original oak-timbered ceilings with heavy rough-hewn beams
and close rafters. The room above has an original open stone fireplace
and moulded beams which divide ceiling into panels about 6ft square.
In the room forming the transverse portion, now used as Masonic Temple
and at one earlier period as a Cloth Hall, is an original oak gallery.
The north window has a heavy moulded oak architrave surround and the walls
are divided by pilasters capped by a stone frieze-cornice. 2 Tuscan columns
are preserved which came from the Town Club and originally supported a
pulpit from which John Wesley preached.
All the listed buildings in Church Street the Chantry Little Chantry,
Barton Orchard and the Catholic Church of St Thomas More, Market Street
form a group with Nos 7 and 9 to 19 Barton Orchard, Nos 5 and 6 and 27
to 31 (consec) and wall Newtown.
Listing NGR: ST8250460978
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.