Description: The Priory Barn
Date Listed: 18 April 1952
English Heritage Building ID: 312625
OS Grid Reference: ST8247361065
OS Grid Coordinates: 382473, 161065
Latitude/Longitude: 51.3484, -2.2530
5411 (South Side)
The Priory Barn
(Formerly listed as Tithe
Barn in Priory grounds)
ST 8261 1/40 18.4.52.
Tithe barn formerly in the grounds of the Priory. Late medieval, much
altered towards the street and divided into 2 storeys. Rubble with stone-tiled
roof. The south east elevation (facing garden) is divided into 8 bays
by 2-stage buttresses with weather mouldings. Single-stage angle buttress
at left hand corner. Plinth course. Doorways with "flattened" pointed
arches at 1st, 3rd and 6th bays from left, the last-named being wider
to accommodate double doors. Wooden doors with nail-heads and moulded
vertical strips. Windows are on two levels, 2 4-light and 1 2-light,
all with leaded panes, concave moulded stone mullions and cinque-foiled
lights under square heads. At 1st floor height in 8th bay narrow internally
splayed loop. Each end elevation is gabled, one with square ashlar stack
at apex and the other with carved saddle stone. Road elevation stands
high above road level on "battered" stone revetment wall. There is one
"flat-arched" doorway towards left.
Priory Lodge with its boundary walls, the Priory Barn and Nos 1A to 3
(consec) form a group.
Listing NGR: ST8247761072
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.