Description: St Mary's Chapel and Attached Cottage (Sometimes Known As the Hermitage)
Date Listed: 18 April 1952
English Heritage Building ID: 312746
OS Grid Reference: ST8224160899
OS Grid Coordinates: 382241, 160899
Latitude/Longitude: 51.3469, -2.2564
5411 (West End)
St Mary's Chapel and
attached Cottage (sometimes
known as the Hermitage)
ST 8260 2/29 18.4.52.
Magnificently placed on a site overlooking the town. Late medieval with
C19 restorations. Small T-shaped building in coursed rubble with stone-tiled
roofs. Ashlar quoins and window dressings. Original Perpendicular window
in east wall, square-headed with 3 lights. Small bellcote on roof with
tracery instead of bells. The tiny chapel was restored in 1877, but one
original canopied niche remains on east wall inside.
All the listed buildings in Tory form a group with Budbury House, Budbury
Place. St Mary's Chapel and gates also form a group with No 12 Wine Street
Listing NGR: ST8223760900
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.