Description: Town Hall
Date Listed: 31 March 1978
English Heritage Building ID: 312952
OS Grid Reference: ST8741845077
OS Grid Coordinates: 387418, 145077
Latitude/Longitude: 51.2048, -2.1815
WARMINSTER MARKET PLACE
No 6 (Town Hall)
ST 8745 SW 6/3
Circa 1837 by Edward Blore. Tudor style in imitation of Longleat (a 2 storey
replica of a section of Longleat in fact). Ashlar built. Main front 2 bays
linked by porch, above which are the Thyme Arms. Moulded cornices with fascia
and friezes over ground and 1st floors, broken around bays and on ground floor
across porch. Parapet with central bellcote which is supported by scrolls
and has strapwork over. The 2 square bays have Doric ground floor and Ionic
1st floor framing pilasters and 3 light mullions and transom windows with
moulded architraves. Linking porch has round headed entrance with moulded
architrave and impost string. Steps up to low cast-iron gates with dog-rails.
12 panel doors with glazing bar overlight. Small window behind coat of arms
above porch, and small panel over containing clock.
The return to Weymouth Street is partly of ashlar, partly of small squared
rubble with a panelled chimney and a further entrance. The building was
given to the town by the 5th Marquis of Bath in 1903.
Listing NGR: ST8741845077
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.