Description: Parish Church of All Saints
Date Listed: 29 December 1950
English Heritage Building ID: 313093
OS Grid Reference: ST8737551430
OS Grid Coordinates: 387375, 151430
Latitude/Longitude: 51.2619, -2.1823
ST 8751 SW 4/15
Parish Church of All Saints
The grade shall be amended to read grade I.
ST 8751 SW 4/15 29.12.50. Parish Church of All Saints
Probably circa 1437 [of similarity of mouldings in North aisle chantry chapel
of that date to those of rest of Church VCH]. Renewed, restored 1847 and
recently stabilized. Ashlar built, re-using earlier masonry in parts. Large
cruciform Church with rectangular central tower and short, low transepts.
Embattled and clerestoried nave of 4 bays. South and West porches. Small
vestry between South porch and transept (1847). 2 stage crenellated tower
with octagonal stair turret to North-East. Steep pitched chancel roof with
stone tiles. West front has small porch, panelled and vaulted and with seats;
dividing buttresses to wall and embattled verges; West window of elaborate
perpendicular style tracery (1847, T.M. Wyatt) . Fragments of corbels and
a large face (possibly from a Rood; locally said to represent King Alfred)
over South transept window. 2 storey South porch with handsome vault, partly
cusped and with Tudor emblems in cells; above entrance is sundial dated 1821.
Pointed doorway. Except for the clerestory, the 7 light thrice transomed
East window and the North chapel windows, the tracery is in transitional Decorated
- Perpendicular style. Inside the tall pointed arcade has clustered piers
and the upper walls buttressed by arches over aisles. In the South transept
is a tall columned monument to Sir James Ley aisles. and his wife and a
good bust of William Phipps (Governor of Bombay d. 1747) by Sir Robert Taylor.
The North chancel chapel has good commemorative plaques of the C18 and early
C19. The Church is set in an enclosed churchyard and except for the tower
is hidden from surrounding streets. The effect of space in the churchyard
is greatly increased by the gardens of Westbury House, Edward Street, to the
South-West and of the Vicarage to the North-East, both of which have some the
fine trees. A number of good C18 altar tombs in churchyard.
Listing NGR: ST8737651436
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.