Description: Bank House
Date Listed: 29 December 1950
English Heritage Building ID: 313142
OS Grid Reference: ST8733651556
OS Grid Coordinates: 387336, 151556
Latitude/Longitude: 51.2630, -2.1829
WESTBURY MARKET PLACE
ST 8751 NW 3/42 29.12.50.
Formerly Marlborough House. Early C18. Red brick with stone dressings, 2
storey and attic. 5 bays. Wide eaves and moulded cornice to steep hipped
old tile roof. Chamfered quoins. Projecting plinth with moulded stone top.
Moulded stone string over ground floor windows. 2 tall narrow, gabled dormer
windows with glazing bar sashes. Glazing bar sashes in stone surrounds with
beaded inner edges. Central modern glazed door inserted in moulded stone
surround with carved stone shell hood on carved stone scroll brackets. Contemporary
staircase inside, alternate twisted and turned balusters, moulded handrail,
cut string with cut spandrels, wide scroll step at bottom. This staircase
with its reeded end columns and rungs to rail and dado is not unlike that
in Edgar House (q.v. No 2 Church Street) which seems roughly 1720-40. Single
storey, 2 window extension to left with wide door to left having overlight
of interesting circles. This extension probably modern. The Bank House is
part of the Market Place group, but also groups with West End.
Listing NGR: ST8733151555
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.