Description: Church of St James
Date Listed: 11 September 1968
English Heritage Building ID: 313322
OS Grid Reference: ST9164541143
OS Grid Coordinates: 391645, 141143
Latitude/Longitude: 51.1695, -2.1209
HEYTESBURY TYTHERINGTON VILLAGE
ST 94 SW
4/101 Church of St. James
Anglican chapel. Mainly C16, restored 1891 by C.E. Ponting.
Dressed limestone, stone slate roof. Consists of nave and chancel
under one roof with entrance at west end. Restored stone Tudor-
arched doorway with planked door with strap hinges, over is tall
C16 three-light hollow-chamfered mullioned window with hoodmould,
flanking buttresses. Coped verges to roof with ashlar bellcote
over west gable; one Tudor-arched opening. North side has blocked
pointed doorway to right, a small quatrefoil with cusped spandrels
and one 2-light recessed chamfered mullioned window to left. East
end has diagonal buttresses and C19 three-light Perpendicular-style
window. South side has one 2-light hollow-chamfered mullioned
window; all windows with leaded lights.
Interior: small interior retains original fittings including old
tiled floor, oak pews with simply moulded bench ends are probably
C17, C18 communion rails with wood turned balusters and wide
moulded rail, cylindrical stone font with C17 font cover at west
end. Tie-beam and collar roof of 4 1/2-bays with two tiers of butt
purlins, the lower tier and the tie-beam soffits are moulded.
Chapel to Church of St. Peter and St. Paul, Heytesbury (q.v.).
Listing NGR: ST9164541143
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.