Description: 81 and 82, the Island
Date Listed: 6 February 1980
English Heritage Building ID: 313353
OS Grid Reference: ST8159041151
OS Grid Coordinates: 381590, 141151
Latitude/Longitude: 51.1693, -2.2647
HORNINGSHAM THE ISLAND
ST 84 SW
2/132 Nos 81 and 82
Wool drying house and attached workshop and cottage, now two semi-
detached cottages. Mid C18. No 81 is painted rubble stone with
tiled hipped roof and brick stack to right, No 82 is rubble stone
with tiled roof. No 81 is two storey, 2-windowed; casements with
4-panelled door to left of centre and 2-light casement either side,
two 2-light casements to first floor. Left return has 2-light
casement to first floor. Single storey outhouse linking No 81 with
No 82 has planked door and two 2-light casements, tall brick stack.
No 81 is former octagonal drying house; 2 storeys with planked
door in gabled porch, tiled offset to first floor, 1-light casement
over door and decoration with bottle ends. Left return has blocked
openings on ground and first floor, C19 stack now on this wall.
Rear has 2-light casements.
Interiors not accessible, but altered C20.
These buildings are all that remains of a former woollen industry
in Horningsham, formerly with larger mill and factory complex,
owned by the Everett family during the late C18 and early C19.
(K.H. Rogers, Wiltshire and Somerset Woollen Mills, 1976.)
Listing NGR: ST8159041151
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.