Description: Church of the Assumption and St Mary
Date Listed: 6 September 1982
English Heritage Building ID: 313410
OS Grid Reference: ST8678740275
OS Grid Coordinates: 386787, 140275
Latitude/Longitude: 51.1616, -2.1903
ST 84 SE LONGBRIDGE DEVERILL HILL DEVERILL
Church of The Assumption and St Mary
3/189 (formerly listed as the Church of the
Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary)
Anglican parish church, now redundant. 1843 rebuilding by Chapman
and Sons. Dressed limestone, Welsh slate roof, ashlar bellcote.
Plan: nave, chancel, west entrance and bellcote. Pre-
archaeololgical Gothic style. West end has pointed chamfered
doorway with planked door and hoodmould, lancet over with
hoodmould, diagonal butresses, coped verge. Gabled bellcote with
one pointed opening. South side of nave has three chamfered
pointed windows with hoodmoulds chancel has two pointed windows
with hoodmoulds, butresses with offsets. East end has diagonal
butresses and pointed window with Y-tracery and hoodmoulds. North
side has similar windows as south; all windows diamond-leaded.
Dentilled eaves cornices, coped verges with kneelers and cross
finials. Interior has 3-bay nave and 2-bay chancel; plain chamfered pointed
chancel arch. Vestibule and stairs to gallery at west end. Plain
plastered walls, tie-beam trusses. All fittings removed since
church made redundant in 1980's, including Ludlow C16 chest tomb now
in Bath chapel at Church of St Peter and St Paul, Church Street
(q.v.). Some wall tablets retained at time of survey (June 1985);
in chancel an oval tablet with carved drapery and crest to Rachel
Coker died 1699 and a classical marble tablet with urn to William
Morse died 1793, Gothic-style tablet to Mary Clifford died 1793, in
nave. Acquired for conversion to dwelling, June 1985. (N.
Pevsner, The Buildings of England, Wiltshire, 1975).
Listing NGR: ST8678740275
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.