Description: Church of St Leonard
Date Listed: 11 September 1968
English Heritage Building ID: 313442
OS Grid Reference: ST9084941520
OS Grid Coordinates: 390849, 141520
Latitude/Longitude: 51.1728, -2.1323
SUTTON VENY DUCK STREET
ST 94 SW
(off south side)
4/220 Church of St. Leonard
Anglican parish church, now redundant. C12, C13, C16, chancel arch
blocked and west part of church partly dismantled 1868, declared
redundant 1970. Rubble stone, tiled roof with hip to east end of
chancel. Former cruciform church with crossing tower, now only
chancel is intact. South side of partly dismantled nave has
double-chamfered pointed doorway with cusped niche over, string
course and two former windows either side, transept mostly
demolished. South side of chancel has blocked central pointed
doorway and blocked 3-light C16 window with Tudor-arched lights,
clasping buttresses to east end; C19 three-light Perpendicular-
style window with bolection-moulded tablet to Anne Holland died
1728 to left and tablet to William Lawes died 1794 to right. North
side of chancel has blocked lancet and two deeply chamfered
lancets, blocked Tudor-arched doorway. Dismantled north transept.
North side of nave has three blocked windows, round-arched C12
doorway with water leaf and stiff leaf capitals, missing tympanum.
West end has Tudor-arched doorway, formerly with windows over.
Interior of former nave retains trefoiled piscina on south wall,
C13 crossing with triple chamfered arches on chamfered responds.
Interior of chancel reroofed 1868 to provide mortuary chapel to
Church of St. John, completed same year, Tudor-arched doorway set
in blocked chancel arch. C12 cylindrical font set on reused pier
base. Fine collection of C18 and C19 wall tablets brought together
in chancel, many signed examples including classical marbles to
Rev. Brounker Thring died 1812, by King of Bath, to Giles Halliday
died 1827, by Reeves of Bath, and a large classical marble to
Hinton family by Randall of London. Earlier tablets include one of
1693 with good lettering to Margaret Bayly. Royal Arms of George
IV over doorway and several prayer and benefaction boards. Good
C19 stained glass in lancets on north side. (VCH, Wiltshire, Vol
8, 1965; N. Pevsner, The Buildings of England - Wiltshire, 1975).
Listing NGR: ST9084941520
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.