Description: Baptist Chapel
Date Listed: 11 September 1968
English Heritage Building ID: 313643
OS Grid Reference: ST9138752553
OS Grid Coordinates: 391387, 152553
Latitude/Longitude: 51.2721, -2.1248
BRATTON CARPENTERS LANE
11/6 Baptist Chapel
Baptist chapel. 1734 with additions early C19 and mid C19.
Flemish bond brick, stone slate hipped roof to chapel, tiled hipped
roofs to flanking schoolrooms, brick stacks with toothed bands.
Single storey chapel with gallery, 2-storey schoolrooms. Central
round-arched 8-panelled door in bolection-moulded architrave with
keystone and imposts, semi-circular stone hood, 12-pane round-
arched sash with keystone and imposts either side, keyed rose
window over and square sundial over door, moulded stone eaves and
plain stone pilasters. Schoolrooms to either side have 4-panelled
or 6-panelled doors, one 12-pane sash to first floor. Left return
has three sashes to ground and first floor, datestone 1858. Right
return has two sashes to both floors. Rear of chapel has two
round-arched 12-pane windows and keyed rose window over, dentil
brick eaves cornice, extension of rear recorded by 1786 datestone
to first floor. Rear of schoolrooms have sashes.
Interior of chapel has gallery of 1807 on three sides with recessed
panelling, on octagonal wooden columns, plaster ceiling cornice,
box pews to ground floor and gallery, reading desk on raised dais
at north end, doors with 4 fielded panels, marble fireplace in west
schoolroom first floor. Baptists had been meeting in Erlestoke
since 1662 and in Bratton since 1701, before this chapel was built
(History of the Baptist Church, 1662-1962)
Listing NGR: ST9138752553
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.