Description: Manor Farm
Date Listed: 11 September 1968
English Heritage Building ID: 313713
OS Grid Reference: ST8290546742
OS Grid Coordinates: 382905, 146742
Latitude/Longitude: 51.2196, -2.2461
CORSLEY CORSLEY VILLAGE
ST 84 NW
7/75 Manor Farm
Farmhouse. Circa 1560, probably for Sir John Thynne. English bond
brick, tiled roof with groups of diagonally-set brick stacks.
Through passage to left of hall with lateral stack, rear wings
flanking courtyard. Two-storey and attic, 5-window. Tudor-arched
doorway with ribbed door to left of centre with square sundial
over, two 3-light hollow-chamfered mullioned casements with
hoodmoulds and one 4-light mullioned and transomed casement to
right, 4-light and 3-light mullioned casement with hoodmoulds to
left. First floor has three 3-light mullioned and transomed
casements to centre with 4-light mullioned casement either side.
Three attic gables with 3-light mullioned casements with
hoodmoulds, large lateral stack to right with offsets incorporated
into gable to right. Right return has planked door inserted into
cross window, 4-light mullioned and transomed casements to first,
one blocked, 3-light mullioned casements to attic gables. Left
return has 2-light mullioned casements to ground, first and attic
floors, lean-to extension, C20 casement to left. Rear has
symmetrically-placed gabled wings, the left has basement with 2-
light mullioned casement, 3-light mullioned casements to other
floors, wing to right has similar windows and buttress with offsets
facing courtyard. Rear of main range has external stone stack to
hall fireplace, blocked Tudor-arched doorway in C19 lean-to porch
and mullioned and transomed casement to right. Interior not
accessible at time of survey (June 1986), but said to have blocked
open stone fireplace in hall to right of entrance, some wainscot
panelling, staircases in both wings, kitchen formerly in east wing.
House reputedly built or rebuilt for Sir John Thynne, whilst
Longleat House (q.v. Horningsham) was rebuilt during 1560s.
(VCH, Wiltshire, Vol 8, 1965)
Listing NGR: ST8290546742
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.