Description: Church of St Mary
Date Listed: 11 September 1968
English Heritage Building ID: 313730
OS Grid Reference: ST8251944811
OS Grid Coordinates: 382519, 144811
Latitude/Longitude: 51.2022, -2.2516
ST 84 SW
10/92 Church of St Mary
Anglican chapel of ease. 1902-03 by W.H. Stanley of Trowbridge.
Dressed limestone, tiled roof with coped verges and cross finials.
Chancel, nave, north porch, south vestry and organ chamber, east
bellcote. Arts and Crafts Gothic. Gabled porch has diagonal
raking buttresses, hollow-chamfered pointed doorway with hoodmould
and foliage-carved spandrels, 3-light leaded east windows. North
side of nave has two 3-light windows with depressed arched heads
and cusped lights, cast-iron rainwater goods at swept eaves.
Chancel has two 3-light Perpendicular-style windows, string course
to plain blocking course, raking buttresses to all sides, east end
has 2-light Perpendicular-style window either side of buttress with
crocketed image niche, carried up to octagonal turret with pierced
stone louvres and griffin gargoyles, short recessed spire. South
side has 3-light Perpendicular-style window. Double-gabled vestry
has two 2-light ogee-cusped square-headed windows and ashlar stack,
ogee-headed planked door to west side. South side of nave has
three 3-light windows with depressed arched heads and cusped
lights, west end has 3-light Perpendicular style window, wooden
gabled bellcote on brackets to gable.
Interior retains original fittings. Walls lined with red brick
with white pointing, moulded string course over windows. Four-bay
nave roof with arched collar trusses on stone corbels, half-bays
have plainer collar trusses, both types of truss with ogee V
struts, exposed rafters and purlins. Polychrome tiled floors,
especially good in chancel. Chamfered pointed chancel arch on
free-standing compound piers. Chancel has 4-bay scissor truss
roof, deeply chamfered segmental-headed archways lead off to vestry
and organ chambers, the former filled with panelled wooden screen,
both with exposed rafter roofs. Cusped piscina on south wall of
chancel, wide pointed arched panel on east wall, string course with
rosettes above altar. Octagonal pulpit with traceried panels.
Octagonal stone font with green marble pedestal. Largely paid for
by Mary Barton of Corsley House (q.v.), died 1878.
(N. Pevsner, The Buildings of England, Wiltshire, 1975)
Listing NGR: ST8251944811
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.