Description: Penknap Providence Church
Date Listed: 5 November 1987
English Heritage Building ID: 313758
OS Grid Reference: ST8572949728
OS Grid Coordinates: 385729, 149728
Latitude/Longitude: 51.2465, -2.2058
DILTON MARSH PENKNAP
ST 84 NE
8/120 Penknap Providence Church
Providence chapel. Dated 1840 on lunette over entrance. Flemish
bond brick, Welsh slate roof with coped verges and brick stack to
rear gable. Two-storey, 3-window front. C20 double central doors,
in pointed stone surround, pointed window with Y-glazing bars and
diamond leading either side, gallery floor has three pointed
windows with Y-glazing bars, dentilled brick string course to gable
with lunette with inscribed surround. Left and right returns have
four pointed windows with Y-glazing bars to ground and gallery
floors. Rear has attached vestry and schoolroom, left side retains
small 16-pane sash, C20 windows and raised eaves to remainder.
Interior has gallery on cast-iron columns to east, north and south
sides, C19 pews.
Listing NGR: ST8572949728
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.