Description: Church of St Mary, St Katherine and All Saints
Date Listed: 11 September 1968
English Heritage Building ID: 313780
OS Grid Reference: ST9264153314
OS Grid Coordinates: 392641, 153314
Latitude/Longitude: 51.2789, -2.1069
EDINGTON EDINGTON VILLAGE
ST 95 SW
5/142 Church of St Mary, St Katherine
and All Saints
Priory church and Anglican parish church. 1352-61 for William of
Edington, Bishop of Winchester. 1888-91 restoration by C.E.
Ponting. Limestone ashlar, lead roofs and rainwater goods.
Aisled cruciform church with south porch. Three-storey porch with
diagonal buttresses and moulded pointed doorway with hoodmould, 2-
light square-headed window with cusped lights to first floor and
tall 2-light to second floor, sides have single and 2-light
chamfered lights, battlemented parapet and pair of ashlar octagonal
stacks to roof, polygonal stair turret attached to north west
angle. South aisle has 3-light segmental-headed window with
cusped lights to left and four the same to right of porch.
Battlemented parapets to all roofs. Clerestory has six 3-light
segmental-headed cusped windows. South transept has tall 2-light
pointed Perpendicular window to west, polygonal stair turret with
sundial on south-west angle, 3-light pointed Perpendicular window
to south and east sides, ogee-shaped gable behind the parapet,
angle buttress on south-east corner carried up to pinnacle. South
side of chancel has three 3-light Perpendicular windows and
segmental-headed priest's door, large buttresses with crocketed
pinnacles, cornice to parapet has fine gargoyles, large 5-light
Perpendicular east window, north side has three 3-light windows and
central blocked doorway with cusped canopy. North transept has
doorway and 3-light window to east, crocketed angle buttresses, 3-
light window to north with four C17 shell-headed niches below,
polygonal stair turret to north west angle, tall 2-light window to
west, evidence of former monastic buildings against north side of
transept and aisle. North aisle has large Tudor-arched doorway to
left, six 3-light segmental-headed windows high on wall to right.
Six similar windows to clerestory. West end has pair of doors
with cusped heads and Perpendicular blind tracery over; large 8-
light Perpendicular window over, aisles have 2-light windows with
geometric Decorated tracery. Crossing tower has polygonal stair
turret on south-west angle, string course to bellstage with 2-light
geometric Decorated louvred windows, battlemented parapet.
Interior: Lierne-vaulted porch ceiling on attached shafts, stone
benches, ribbed door to stairs, moulded pointed inner doorway.
Nave has original 6-bay kingpost roof with C17 cusped plaster
panels. Six-bay arcades with moulded pointed arches on compound
piers, restored lean-to aisle roofs. Consecration crosses on
interior walls. South transept has 2-bay king-post roof with
cusping, narrow stairs door, fine C15 Baynton monument against
south wall. Lady chapel in north transept has plaster ceiling
with cusped panels in nave, dated 1663, cusped piscina and
crocketed niche, C17 reredos and communion rails. Crossing has
late C18 plaster fan-vault on wide pointed arches, marble floor.
Early C16 screen and loft to chancel, east side and top restored by
Ponting. Chancel has 1789 plaster ceiling, crocketed image niches
on walls; only two retain statues, crocketed south doorway, partly
damaged 3-seat sedilia and piscina on south wall. Fine C17
communion rail with dogbars and strapwork.
Other fittings: C15 octagonal stone font base in north aisle reset
with C19 marble bowl and plinth, C17 cover; on C19 mosaic floor.
C17 pulpit with tester and 1890s stairs in C18 style. Pews c1890.
C18 brass candelabra throughout. C14 stained glass retained in
clerestory windows and east window of Lady Chapel, some C19 glass
in chancel. some fittings from Imber Church of St Giles: altar
in north aisle, 1639 Royal Arms and two C14 effigies of knights,
one in cusped ogee niche, now in south aisle. 1852 benefactions
board in north aisle.
Monuments: Collection of C18 and C19 marble wall tablets in Lady
Chapel include several to Long family of Baynton House (q.v.). In
chancel is grey marble monument by Chantrey to Sir Simon Taylor
died 1815 and fine Lewis monument erected by Lady Anne Beauchamp to
Sir Edward Lewis died 1632. C15 Cheney monument occupies a bay in
the south arcade.
William of Edington founded a chantry here in 1351, the foundation
was transferred to the Bonhommes in 1358. The church is one of
the most important examples of early Perpendicular.
(VCH, Wiltshire, Vol 8 1965; N. Pevsner, The Buildings of England,
Wiltshire, 1975; K.J. Rogers, Guide to Church, 1980)
Listing NGR: ST9263453311
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.