Early Wing at Brook Hall, Heywood
Description: Early Wing at Brook Hall
Date Listed: 11 September 1968
English Heritage Building ID: 313819
OS Grid Reference: ST8504753439
OS Grid Coordinates: 385047, 153439
Latitude/Longitude: 51.2799, -2.2158
Location: Heywood, Wiltshire BA14 9PT
Incorrect location/postcode? Submit a correction!
ST 85 SE
4/180 Early wing at Brook Hall
(formerly listed as Early wing
at Brook House)
Hall house, now farm outbuilding and wing of farmhouse. C15.
Coursed rubble stone, tiled roof with coped verges. Eight bays.
Two-storey, 5-window south front. Ground floor has three moulded
pointed doorways with C20 planked doors and two 2-light square-
headed windows with Tudor-arched lights and hoodmoulds. First
floor has five 2-light windows with arched lights, three buttresses
with offsets. Roof has axial square louvre with tiled pyramidal
capping. Left return has diagonal buttress to left, plain buttress
to right, blocked doorway to ground floor and blocked window to
first floor with offset string course carried over. Rear has
planked doors and blocked openings to ground floor, first floor has
two windows with arched lights to left, pointed recessed openings
to right with planked doors. House (q.v.) built up against east
Interior has pointed chamfered niches to ground floor, blocked
fireplaces, chamfered beams to ceiling. First floor has blocked
beaded fireplace, 4 bays of an eight bay roof are exposed at west
end; arch-braced collar trusses to main bays with collar trusses
to half-bays, two tiers of purlins with curved windbracing and
tension bracing to ridge. Probably built as a first floor hall
house, reputedly for Robert Willoughby, created Baron de Broke by
Henry VII in 1491.
(V.C.H., Wiltshire, Vol 8, 1965)
Listing NGR: ST8505753457
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.