Description: Church of Holy Trinity
Date Listed: 5 November 1987
English Heritage Building ID: 313822
OS Grid Reference: ST8722353624
OS Grid Coordinates: 387223, 153624
Latitude/Longitude: 51.2816, -2.1846
HEYWOOD CHURCH ROAD
ST 85 SE
Church of Holy Trinity
Anglican parish church, now redundant. 1849, possibly by Harvey
Eginton, for Henry G.G. Ludlow. Coursed rubble stone, with ashlar
dressings, Welsh slate roof with coped verges and ashlar gabled
bellcote with three openings to west. Decorated style. Four bay
aisled nave, chancel, and north vestry, south porch. Large gabled
porch with moulded pointed doorway with attached shafts, cusped
lancets to sides. South aisle has two 2-light geometric windows
left and right of porch, four trefoils to clerestory. Chancel has
two 2-light geometric windows to south, good 6-light east window
with reticulated tracery, north side has one window and lean-to
vestry with pointed doorway. North aisle has four geometric
windows, cusped trefoil to east and ashlar stack, four trefoils to
clerestory. West end has 4-light geometric window, diagonal
buttresses, set-back west ends of aisle have 2-light windows.
Interior not accessible at time of survey (July 1986). Porch has
chamfered pointed doorway with planked door. Nave has pointed
arcade and chancel arch. All fittings removed since church
closed. Stained glass in east window of 1876 by Ward and Hughes.
Good early example of Ecclesiological Movement.
(N. Pevsner, The Buildings of England, Wiltshire, 1975)
Listing NGR: ST8722353624
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.