Description: Home Mills Main Block
Date Listed: 26 November 1976
English Heritage Building ID: 313950
OS Grid Reference: ST8554357968
OS Grid Coordinates: 385543, 157968
Latitude/Longitude: 51.3206, -2.2088
(North West Side)
Home Mills Main Block
ST 8557 7/20
Circa 1862-3. Designed by Charles Underwood of Clifton. 4 storey mill block.
8+3 bays on boasted stone plinth. Ground floor ashlar, upper floors brick with
brick-size Bath stone quoins and alternate voussoirs to 1st and 2nd floor windows.
Stone cill bands, returned as stone courses over corner piers and dividing piers,
stone courses just below impost level and below coping. Segmental headed windows
with flat hipped voussoir arches. Cast iron casement grids with knop joints.
Ground floor windows in recessed reveals; 3rd floor and some 2nd floor windows
with concrete lintels (result of 1931 fire). Doorway in 4th bay from left. 3
bay block at east end projects 1 bay; same general design. Originally 5 storeys
with each range of windows set in giant arched recess; reduced after 1931 fire
leaving wall strips. Pediments on projecting wings at east end and decorated top
of stair tower (on north side) removed at that time.
The listed Mills in Court Street form an industrial group with Home Mill Buildings,
Castle Factory and The Chapel (Offices of Samuel Salter and Co Ltd).
Listing NGR: ST8554357968
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.