Description: Church of the Holy Trinity
Date Listed: 26 November 1976
English Heritage Building ID: 314143
OS Grid Reference: ST8513457769
OS Grid Coordinates: 385134, 157769
Latitude/Longitude: 51.3188, -2.2147
(North West Side)
Church of the
ST 8557 6/54
Foundation stone laid 1837. Architect: A. F. Livesay; builders: Charles and Richard Gane. Stone built church in Early English style. Cruciform plan with angle chapels and large tower on south east arm. Angle buttresses with gablets and pinnacles. 2 bay aisled chancel with wall strips and corbel table parapet. Parapetted gables with weathered coping. Tower of 2 stages, crenellated- angle buttresses dying into stop chamfered corner piers; 2 large lancets on ground floor, 3 on 1st floor outer blind inner louvred for belfry; corbels to cornice. 4 bay aisled nave with projecting gabled front to south west having 3 tall lancets and massive side pinnacles. Side walls with wall strips and corbel table parapet. Entrance in south angle with pointed arch. Interior: quadripartite vaults on very slender band Purbeck shafts, raised dogtooth on vault shafts of central bay. Very wide, open space.
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.