Description: Church of St Michael
Date Listed: 29 September 1950
English Heritage Building ID: 314269
OS Grid Reference: ST9028863732
OS Grid Coordinates: 390288, 163732
Latitude/Longitude: 51.3726, -2.1409
ST 9063 MELKSHAM CHURCH WALK
(south east side)
7/51 Church of St. Michael
Anglican parish church. Norman origins, late Medieval with
extensive remodelling in 1845 by T.H. Wyatt. Ashlar, Welsh slate
roof with coped verges and saddlestones. Plan: west tower, 5-bay
nave with aisles, chancel with south side chapel, north porch. 4-
stage rectangular west tower was moved from the crossing in 1845,
corner buttresses and Perpendicular-arched door with hood mould
having carved terminals, third stage has single lancet, fourth
stage has cusped Perpendicular style blind arcading and 2-light
window with louvres, string courses to third and fourth stages,
battlemented chapel with one Perpendicular 3-light with hood mould,
clerestory has three 3-light 4-centred arched windows and
battlemented parapet. Lady chapel on south east side has three 4-
light Perpendicular windows with hood moulds, and square headed
door with moulded plinth raised over lintel, battlemented parapet
and pinnacles. Chancel has corner buttresses, one with Medieval
sundial and 2 and 3-light Perpendicular windows with hood moulds.
North aisle of chancel has gabled C19 vestry with 3-light
Perpendicular window, and one 4-light square-headed window to
right. Door in moulded Perpendicular arch in north 2-storey porch,
with 2-light trefoil-headed window to upper floor and statue of St.
Michael in niche over door. North aisle same as south and with
polygonal stair turret in angle of tower.
Interior: Porch has tierceron star vault with bosses. 5-bay nave
has C13 pointed arcade on cylindrical piers, late C19 pews and tall
pointed arch to tower of 1845. C15 Lady Chapel refitted in 1909.
Chancel has pointed arch and wooden barrel-vaulted ceiling,
evidence of removed blind arcading and piscina on walls, 4-centred
arches into Lady Chapel and vestry inserted in 1845. Fittings:
fine carved limestone reredos of 1894 by Ponting, carved oak
chancel screen also of 1894, choir stalls of 1881 and pulpit of
1906, some good late C19 stained glass in nave and chancel and
glass by Ward and Hughes, 1884 and Kempe, 1897 in Lady Chapel.
Good collection of memorial tablets includes early marble of 1612
to Ambrose Dauntesey in chancel, signed tablet to Jacob Selfe of
1730 by Hoare in Lady Chapel and signed tablet to Thomas Smith of
1720 by Richard Broad of Box. On exterior north east corners of
chancel and nave are 3 C18 cartouches. (N. Pevsner, The Buildings
of England: Wiltshire, 1975. R. Gunnis, Dictionary of British
Sculptors 1660-1851, 1951).
Listing NGR: ST9029063735
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.