Description: Melksham United Church
Date Listed: 13 February 1985
English Heritage Building ID: 314319
OS Grid Reference: ST9049263729
OS Grid Coordinates: 390492, 163729
Latitude/Longitude: 51.3725, -2.1380
ST 9063 MELKSHAM HIGH STREET
7/102 Melksham United Church
Methodist Chapel, now United Reform Church. 1872, by Wilson,
Willcox and Wilson of Bath. Rock-faced, Welsh slate roof.
Imposing 2-storey, 3-window front. Blind portico has 4 giant
Corinthian columns on large pedestals with modillioned pediment and
cornice with oculus. Pair of 6-panelled doors with moulded
architraves, bay-leaft pulvinated friezes and segmental pediments
with decorated carved tympanums. To either side are pilasters with
Corinthian capitals. Three first floor windows are round-arched
sashes in shouldered architraves. Modillioned cornice with
balustraded parapet and stone urn finials to corners. Right and
left returns have four tall round-arched sashes in chamfered cases,
separated by pilasters.
Interior is plain with gallery over vestibule at west end only,
east end has plain preaching boxes and railed enclosure, in front
of round arch with hood mould and carved foliage terminals
containing organ. To rear is attached church room of no special
interest. Founded as The Methodist Chapel. (V.C.H., Wiltshire Vol
7 p. 168, 1953.) Unpublished material of J. Orbach.
Listing NGR: ST9049263729
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.