Description: Beanacre Old Manor
Date Listed: 13 February 1985
English Heritage Building ID: 314382
OS Grid Reference: ST9016165783
OS Grid Coordinates: 390161, 165783
Latitude/Longitude: 51.3910, -2.1428
ST 96 NW MELKSHAM WITHOUT BEANACRE
2/165 Beanacre Old Manor
Manor house. Late C14 to early C18. Late C14 open hall and
solar, remodelled in early C16. Chapel to rear of c1500. Early
C18 service wing to left. Rubblestone with stone slate roofing.
Projecting ashlar stacks to hall, solar and chapel. Plan: Hall
with wings to sides and rear. 1 storey with attic, 2 windows.
Entrance front has wooden Medieval door case to left bay of hall.
To right is one 3-light wooden mullioned window, separated from
door by buttress opposing central truss. Two 3-light gabled
dormers to roof are later. Wing to right renovated 1931, has one
storey and attic with door to left and one 3-light mullioned window
to right, with 4-light window in Cotswold-type dormer. Gable end
has inserted door and casement with 3-light mullioned window above.
Wing to left of entrance is early C18 facade of 2-storey 3-window
service wing. Windows are 1-light, 5-light and 2-light cyma
mullions to ground with three 2-light above. Garden front has
entrance of 4-centred arched door with carved drip mould. To
right is chapel with pointed arched window with drip mould and one
square headed casement. Above door is 4-light arched oriel
window, in timber of C18. Transverse wing to chapel has 2-light
window to first floor above C19 porched door. Projecting stack to
right. To left and set back is early C16 facade of C14 hall and
solar, having 2-light arched window to hall and 4-light arch headed
window with king mullion and drip mould with carved terminals to
left. Above in gable of solar is 2-light arched, window with drip
mould and carved terminals. This roof has coping with saddleback.
Hall stack to right is stepped.
Interior: 2-bay open hall has arch-braced collar roof, with two
tiers of wind braces to purlins. 4-centred arched door to left of
4-centred arched fireplace. Solar roof as hall. Chapel has
pointed barrel vaulted roof and 4-centred arched fireplace restored
by Harold Brakspear, 1931. The dating of the hall and solar to
c1360 was made by Harold Brakspear, but the arch braced collar
trusses may be C15. Some good renovations of 1931 by H. Brakspear.
(Country Life, 4 Dec. 1937, by Arthur Oswald).
Listing NGR: ST9016065788
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.