Description: Remains of the Refectory at Monkton Farleigh Manor
Date Listed: 13 November 1962
English Heritage Building ID: 314568
OS Grid Reference: ST8058565608
OS Grid Coordinates: 380585, 165608
Latitude/Longitude: 51.3892, -2.2804
There is also a scheduled monument, Two Medieval Fishponds 170m North of Manor House, at the same location as this building or very close to it. This may be related in some way or possibly a different name for the same structure.
ST 86 NW MONKTON FARLEIGH MONKTON FARLEIGH VILLAGE
2/122 Remains of the Refectory at
Monkton Farleigh Manor
Remains of refectory of Cluniac priory. C13, priory founded 1125.
Rubble stone with ashlar dressings, stone slate coping. Consists
of free-standing gable end wall of larger building which extended
to south. Two roll-moulded lancets on north-facing side with
string course carried up over pointed heads, interior side facing
south with deeply splayed reveals. In a lean-to shed in the yard
on the north side of this fragment is a collection of C12 and C13
architectural fragments, including a C12 tympanum with scrolled
design, three coffin lids with carvings of knights and a lady.
Listing NGR: ST8058165591
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.