Description: The Cloisters
Date Listed: 13 November 1962
English Heritage Building ID: 314678
OS Grid Reference: ST8016158878
OS Grid Coordinates: 380161, 158878
Latitude/Longitude: 51.3287, -2.2861
ST 85 NW WESTWOOD IFORD
6/230 The Cloisters
Italian-style cloisters as garden feature. Completed 1914 by Peto.
Coursed rubble stone, shallow stone slate roof. Square: encloses
arcaded cloisters. Single-storey, 5-bay front. Central doorway
with Italian double iron grilles in Italian marble architrave,
round-headed niche either side containing statues of monk and
bishop, double round-headed window with central marble column to
sides, statue of the Virgin and Child from Treviso over doorway
with gabled canopy and other fragments of reset carving. Corners
of exterior have cable-moulded shafts. Right return has triple
round-headed window with marble columns and balcony with
balustrade, lunette with grille and bell to right. Left return and
rear have gabled projections for internal 'transepts'.
Interior has cloister arcade of coupled marble columns and stilted
round arches, barrel-vaulted roofs to cloister and 'transept's.
Wellhead in centre of courtyard from Aquilegia. Walls and
'transepts' set with part of Peto's collection of Italian and
Byzantine sculpture, religious and secular. This unusual building
was built to house this fine collection.
(E. Cartwright-Hignett, The Gardens at Iford Manor, 1985)
Listing NGR: ST8016358884
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.