Description: Colonnade on Great Terrace in Garden at Iford Manor
Date Listed: 14 June 1988
English Heritage Building ID: 314680
OS Grid Reference: ST8008858931
OS Grid Coordinates: 380088, 158931
Latitude/Longitude: 51.3291, -2.2872
ST 85 NW WESTWOOD IFORD
6/232 Colonnade on Great Terrace in
garden at Iford Manor
Colonnade linked by chains or balustrading. Circa 1910 by H.A.
Peto. Limestone columns. Group of six Ionic columns on south side
of terrace with entablatures, linked at ground level by
balustrading at head of steps leading to lily pond, this group
flanked either side by five free-standing columns with Tuscan-style
capitals and ball finials, linked by chains from the capitals. To
the west the colonnade continues with row of eight Tuscan columns
with entablatures; this row matched by similar row on north side
of terrace. Peto created this long terrace flanked by columns and
planted borders, rebuilding in stone an earlier grass terrace.
Several pieces of sculpture were placed here by Peto including the
Greek sarcophagus (q.v.) and wellhead (q.v.).
(E. Cartwright-Hignett, The Gardens at Iford Manor, 1985)
Listing NGR: ST8008858931
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.