Description: Haugh Farmhouse and Attached Barn
Date Listed: 14 June 1988
English Heritage Building ID: 314746
OS Grid Reference: ST8024662468
OS Grid Coordinates: 380246, 162468
Latitude/Longitude: 51.3609, -2.2851
ST 86 SW WINSLEY HAUGH
4/298 Haugh Farmhouse and attached barn
Farmhouse and barn, rebuilt 1731, possibly including some older
work, squared rubble stone with stone slate roof, coped gables,
north end stack and ridge stack. Two storeys and attic. House is
symmetrical three-window range with end stacks, three hipped
dormers and 2-light stone cross windows in beaded architraves.
Similar surround to centre door with heavy hood on uncarved
brackets. To left of ridge stack, a one-window similar section
with ground floor plain door, first floor cross-window and dormer
in roof. Barn range beyond has two large elliptical arched
openings flanking arched door with square window above. Datestone
1731 to right of door. Left of two large openings was into barn,
right was to throughway, blocked similar opening on rear wall.
Lean-to cart-entry rear right. There is a straight joint and
coping up to stack on rear whereas front stonework is uniform.
House rear has central eaves dormer and cyma-moulded 2-light
stairlight below. Lean-to to left.
House was held by Druce family in C17 as tenants of Tidcombe
family of Little Ashley. Sold 1725 to Edward Heylin, clothier, who
rebuilt it. Heylin was bankrupt 1737 and sold it to Lea family.
At 1841 Tithe survey owned by G. Melsom.
Listing NGR: ST8024662468
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.