Description: Church of St Phillip and St James
Date Listed: 20 December 1960
English Heritage Building ID: 315052
OS Grid Reference: ST8607768188
OS Grid Coordinates: 386077, 168188
Latitude/Longitude: 51.4125, -2.2016
CORSHAM CHURCH RISE, Neston
ST 86 NE
3/28 Church of St. Philip and
Anglican parish church, 1866 by J.H. Hakewill, coursed rubble with
stone tiled roofs, coped east and west gables and west end ashlar
gabled bellcote. Aisleless nave and chancel with south porch and
north-east vestry. Early Decorated Gothic style with Geometrical
tracery to windows. Moulded eaves and moulded course under
windows. Four-bay nave with clasping west end buttresses, four
north side 2-light windows with buttresses between, south side 2-
light window, gabled porch with moulded pointed arch, 3-light and
2-light window. All windows with hoodmoulds and head stops. West
end has pair of centre buttresses framing long 2-light window and
joined in pointed arch under bellcote. Heavy buttress on south
side between nave and chancel. Chancel has side lancet windows, 3
to south, one to north and 3-light east window. String course
slightly higher than on nave and stepped up under east window.
Clasping east buttresses.
Interior: broad nave with elaborate tie-beam roof, chancel arch
marked by pierced arched braces springing from short wall shafts to
tie-beam. Stained glass in chancel only, east window c1866,
lancets slightly later. Stone font and pulpit.
Listing NGR: ST8607768188
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.