Description: Gastard Court Farmhouse
Date Listed: 20 December 1960
English Heritage Building ID: 315166
OS Grid Reference: ST8908368284
OS Grid Coordinates: 389083, 168284
Latitude/Longitude: 51.4135, -2.1584
ST 86 NE
Gastard Court Farmhouse
Farmhouse, late medieval and C17, rubble stone with Bridgwater tile
roof, half-hipped, with ridge stack. Large projecting gable to
crosswing right of centre, continued to rear with west side chimney
gable. North front has, to left, 2 large buttresses flanking 3-
light recessed ovolo-moulded window with hoodmould, then door in
Cl9 flush surround with dormer gable over and 2-light recessed
cyma-moulded window. Crosswing gable projects slightly with higher
roof line, 3-light recessed cyma-moulded window and hoodmould to
each floor. Range to right at similar roof height has roof
continued over lean-to with door and various windows. Rear has
similar pair of heavy buttresses to right, flanking 2-light
recessed cyma-moulded window. Gable over with 3-light recessed
ovolo-moulded window and hoodmould. To right upper casement pair
and door in angle to crosswing. Crosswing has east side ground
floor 2-light and hoodmould, south end 3-light with hoodmould to
each foor, all ovolo-moulded and large chimney gable to west.
Range to left has C19 two-light windows, one above, 2 below.
Interior: east end room has heavy beamed 4-panel ceiling and large
timber lintel fireplace. The house belonged to the Jones family
cl,560, passed to R. Sherfield 1605, to the Colborne family 1631-
1744 and then to the Mitchell family 1744-1876.
(H. Brakspear, Corsham n.d 28 - reprint Wilts Arch Mag 43, 511-39).
Listing NGR: ST8908368284
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.