Description: Hartham Church
Date Listed: 1 August 1986
English Heritage Building ID: 315177
OS Grid Reference: ST8642871489
OS Grid Coordinates: 386428, 171489
Latitude/Longitude: 51.4422, -2.1967
ST 87 SE
Estate church to Hartham Park, now private chapel, 1862 by P.C.
Hardwick for T.H.A. Poynder. Squared rubble stone with ashlar
dressings and plain tile roof. Coped gables. Nave and chancel
with prominent north porch tower, south gabled organ-chamber and
north-east vestry, Perpendicular Gothic style. Diagonal end
buttresses, side buttresses, moulded sill course and moulded
plinth. Large 4-light west window, flat-headed side windows, one
2-light and two 3-lights to nave south, one 2-light and one 3-light
to nave north, to right of tower. Tower has 2 tall stages with
clasping buttresses to lower stage, pointed-arched north door and
south-east stair turret, upper stage with 2-light flat-headed bell-
openings and hoodmoulds, parapet and pinnacles. Stair turret has
crocketted cap. Chancel has 3-light east window, two 2-light
windows to south, one to north and parallel north-east vestry with
large paired octagonal stack on south wall.
Interior: plastered roofs with moulded timber ribs, moulded stone
chancel arch and full set of contemporary pews, Poynder family pew
across west end. Carved stone panelling in chancel. Stained glass
borders to windows.
Listing NGR: ST8642871489
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.