Description: The Methuen Arms Hotel
Date Listed: 20 December 1960
English Heritage Building ID: 315193
OS Grid Reference: ST8718870252
OS Grid Coordinates: 387188, 170252
Latitude/Longitude: 51.4311, -2.1857
ST 8770 CORSHAM HIGH STREET
The Methuen Arms Hotel
Inn, front range early C19, rear wing C17 and C18. Front is of coursed rubble stone with hipped stone-tiled roof and end stacks. Three storeys, 3-window range of sashes in flush surrounds. Raised ashlar angle piers, first floor sill-course and moulded cornice, broken forward over piers. Central door in architrave with keystone set in large Roman Doric porch with paired columns to
front and pilaster responds. Three-window, 2 storey rear wing to Lacock Road with sashes and centre arched doorway with raised imposts and keystone, and chequer pattern [apparently a sign of a tavern] to the pilasters. Range beyond is mostly C17, much altered. First section has dormer gable and 3-light ovolo-moulded window over pair of sashes. Second section is 2-storey with datestone 'NNIN 1650 CW 1742', four first floor 2-light ovolo-moulded windows, 3 original, one C20 and ground floor C20 window, door, and 2 small ventilation openings with 2-light cyma-moulded window between. Third section has 4 rebuilt dormer gables with mullion windows, one original, and 4 small ventilation openings below. End
section has mullion window in east gable. North side to court and rear of main range mostly, rebuilt but some mullion windows surviving. The inn is on the site of a house called Winter's Court held by Nott family from C15 to 1732 when it passed to Webber family. Purchased by P. Methuen 1779. House was an inn in 1608, recorded as the Red Lion in 1637 and was drawn by Buckler in 1805 (Devizes Museum) and presumably rebuilt c1830.
Listing NGR: ST8718870252
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.