Description: Beechfield House
Date Listed: 1 August 1986
English Heritage Building ID: 315293
OS Grid Reference: ST8621270738
OS Grid Coordinates: 386212, 170738
Latitude/Longitude: 51.4355, -2.1997
CORSHAM MIDDLEWICK LANE, Pickwick
4/265 Beechfield House
House, c1794-9, ashlar with low-pitched slate hipped roof and 2
rear wall stacks to main range. Main range has formal 3-storey, 5-
window front with raised plinth, sill bands to ground and first
floors, moulded cornice and parapet. Centre bay is slightly
projected. Six-pane attic windows, 12-pane elsewhere, longer to
ground floor. French window to first floor centre. Central
projecting ashlar enclosed porch with Doric angle pilasters,
moulded cornice and small iron rail above. Broad central arch with
large traceried fanlight over 6-panel door and sidelights, with
pilasters between. Each end wall has full-height 3-window bow.
Two-storey north-west service wing with cornice, parapet, ridge
stack and northend stack. Two 12-pane upper sashes, ground floor
sash paired with door and pair of sashes, ground floor openings in
raised moulded surrounds. North-east rear wing mid to late C19, 3-
storey, 2-window with moulded architraves to attic and first floor
windows. Two-storey, one-window addition beyond.
Interior has moulded plaster borders to main ceilings, central
open-well stair with skylight over and plain balusters. On site of
a C17 house called Leyceters demolished c1794 and present house
built c1794-9 for Rev. J.L. Willis. Owned later by Sir G. Goldney
M.P. (1814-1900) and Sir F.H. Goldney (1846-1920).
(H. Brakspear, Corsham n.d.26 - reprint Wilts.Arch.Mag.43 511-39)
Listing NGR: ST8621270738
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.