Description: Church of All Saints
Date Listed: 28 October 1959
English Heritage Building ID: 315676
OS Grid Reference: ST9563892901
OS Grid Coordinates: 395638, 192901
Latitude/Longitude: 51.6349, -2.0644
ST 99 SE CRUDWELL EASTCOURT ROAD
3/54 Church of All Saints
Anglican Parish Church. Probable Saxon origin (nave proportions),
late C12 (north arcade), early C13 (chancel), late C13 (north
chapel), early C14 (south arcade and base of tower), C15, 1868 and
1889 restorations. Squared and coursed rubble with stone
dressings, ashlar to south porch, copings and tower parapet, stone
slate roofs. Nave, chancel, west tower, north and south aisles,
south porch. South aisle has a triangular-headed 3-light C15
window to left of porch, a 3-light flat-headed C15 window to the
right and a 4-light C15 window set in a deep reveal to the west.
North aisle has an identical west window, a 4-light C15 window
under flat head to left, central blocked round-arched late C12
doorway with dogtooth to hoodmould and a single lancet to right.
North chapel has 3-light C13 window under pointed head. Chancel
south wall has a single and a 2-light lancet and a round-headed
doorway with roll moulding and plank door. Diagonal buttresses
with set-offs to aisles. West tower of 3 stages with set-off
buttresses to the west, moulded string courses and pierced
quatrefoil parapet with corner pinnacles and gargoyles below.
West face flush with aisles has a 4-light C15 window to ground
floor and single lights above and below clock to second stage.
Bell openings on all faces: 2-cusped-light openings with close
patterned piercing. South porch with diagonal buttresses, moulded
string courses and embattled parapet with corner pinnacles; east
corner stair turret. Multi-chamfered south doorway with hoodmould
developed from buttress set-off. Oblong lights to parvise with
sundial to left on south face. Two-leaf outer plank doors, multi-
chamfered inner doorway with further plank door.
Interior: 2-bay north arcade with trumpet capitals, circular piers
and arches; 2-bay south arcade with octagonal piers and double-
chamfered pointed arches. Trefoil-headed piscina to south aisle
south wall, rood stair to right of chancel arch and squints either
side. Open rafter roof to south aisle, wagon roof to nave and
early C17 king-post roof with cusped braces to north aisle.
Trefoil-headed piscina on south wall of chancel, wagon roof.
Fittings: north aisle has C15 font with tapering stem and
octagonal bowl and C17 stairs with handrail to belfry. Nave has
benches with linenfold and early Renaissance end panels (Aubrey
records that they were given by one Walton, and Waltons appear in
the parish in the mid C16); C19 pulpit, C19 brass lectern. South
aisle has 3 oil paintings: copies of old masters. North wall of
north aisle has 2 benefaction boards, one early C17 the other of
1775; C15 stained glass of the Seven Sacraments in north-east
window. C15 screen forming north chapel, further Renaissance
screen in chapel; wall monument to Thomas Earle of 1715 with swags
and putti. Chancel east window of 1887 in Kempe style, late C19
stained glass to chancel south window. List of rectors in south
(Aubrey & Jackson, Wiltshire Collections, 1862; N. Pevsner, The
Buildings of England: Wiltshire, 1975).
Listing NGR: ST9563892900
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.