Description: Church of the Holy Cross
Date Listed: 28 October 1959
English Heritage Building ID: 315706
OS Grid Reference: ST9725090759
OS Grid Coordinates: 397250, 190759
Latitude/Longitude: 51.6157, -2.0411
ST 99 SE HANKERTON CHURCH LANE
3/84 Church of the Holy Cross
Anglican Parish Church. Late C12 (north arcade), late C13 (north
aisle), C15 (west tower) and 1903 (chancel). Squared and coursed
dressed stone to tower, coursed rubble to remainder with some
render, stone dressings, ashlar copings and stone slate roofs.
Nave, chancel, west tower, north aisle, south porch. Nave south
side has one 2-light C15 window under flat head to left of porch,
two C15 windows to right: one 3-light under pointed head and one
2-light under flat head, both with hoodmoulds. North aisle has a
single 3-light Tudor-arched C15 window set in deep reveal to right
end and a blocked Caernarvon-arched doorway; 3-light Early English
east window. West tower of 3 stages with diagonal buttresses with
set-offs, moulded string courses, south-east corner stair turret
and embattled parapet with corner pinnacles and gargoyles below.
Western buttresses at first stage have statue niches. West face
of tower has a 3-light C19 Perpendicular style window to first
stage and an oblong opening to second; 2-cusped-light bell
openings with pierced wooden panels to all faces. Chancel of 1903
(dated on gable end) with Perpendicular style 3-light east window.
Gabled south porch with multi-rolled pointed-arched entrance with
2-leaf plank doors and inner doorway with Ringerike style dragon
stops to hoodmould and C19 plank door; benches either side.
Interior: 4-bay north arcade with circular piers, moulded
capitals, circular abaci and double-chamfered round arches. Wagon
roof to nave, ribbed plaster vault to tower and further wagon roof
to north aisle. Low, narrow, chancel arch probably C13 giving
onto C20 chancel with barrel vault. Fittings: 1744 wall monument
to the Ludlow family on nave north wall by the tower, C15 octagonal
font with quatrefoil frieze by south door. Fine 1775 monument to
Miles Earle by Nollekens on west wall of north arcade: marble
tablet with an urn at the top.
(N. Pevsner, The Buildings of England: Wiltshire, 1975)
Listing NGR: ST9725090759
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.