Description: Lychgate at West Entrance to Churchyard of Church of St Michael
Date Listed: 29 February 1988
English Heritage Building ID: 315943
OS Grid Reference: ST9043377227
OS Grid Coordinates: 390433, 177227
Latitude/Longitude: 51.4939, -2.1392
KINGTON ST MICHAEL KINGTbN ST MICHAEL VILLAGE
ST 9077 (west side)
13/130 Lychgate at west entrance to
churchyard of Church of St Michael
Lychgate, 1917 by H. Brakspear, incorporating gate piers of 1760,
rubble stone banded in ashlar with half-hipped stone slate roof,
saddlestone and ridge cross. Moulded plinth and 2-chamfer ashlar
pointed arch each end. Five-light mullioned side openings, stone
seats within and central ashlar coffin-rest. Open timber roof.
Inscription within recording that lychgate was erected in memory of
Herbert Prodgers of Kington Manor, died 1917. To each side of west
front, a length of short curving wall connects to rusticated
corniced gate pier with ball finial, the north pier inscribed
'Thomas Stubb gave this gate 1760'.
Listing NGR: ST9043377227
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.