Description: Church Cottage
Date Listed: 23 September 1987
English Heritage Building ID: 316008
OS Grid Reference: ST8405583023
OS Grid Coordinates: 384055, 183023
Latitude/Longitude: 51.5459, -2.2313
ST 88 SW (east side)
2/195 Church Cottage
Former school, now cottage, 1832 by James Thomson for Joseph Neeld
of Grittleton, squared rubble stone with low-pitched slate eaves
roof, half-hipped each end and gabled to north and south. Ridge
stack. l½ storeys, unmoulded flush mullion windows. West end, to
road, has small 2-light over large 2:3:2-light canted bay with lead
roof. South gable has roundel date plaque over gabled slate-roofed
stone porch with depressed-arched entry. To right, a blocked door.
North side has 2-light to gable and altered single-storey
projection below, C20 north east addition. House is illustrated as
a school in James Thomson's School Houses, 1842, with plan, and as
a 'single cottage' in his History of the church and village of
Alderton (unpubl) 1845 72, by which time the larger schoolroom,
now The Old School House (q .v.) had been built.
Listing NGR: ST8405583023
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.