Description: The Old Rectory
Date Listed: 25 November 1987
English Heritage Building ID: 316220
OS Grid Reference: SU0378370089
OS Grid Coordinates: 403783, 170089
Latitude/Longitude: 51.4298, -1.9470
CHERHILL MAIN ROAD
SU 07 SW
9/96 The Old Rectory
Former rectory, built 1843 for Rev. G. Farley, extended 1864 by W.
Slater and 1873 by H. Weaver. Ashlar with low-pitched slate eaves
roofs. West side stack and east end stack to original house.
Original house was L-plan with gable to left and 2-window range to
right, with sashes and first floor sill band, but large porch bay
of 1873 by Weaver now projects to right of original gable.
Original gable has 16-pane sash above and 12-pane below. One 16-
pane sash and a blank window below remain of original range to
right of porch bay and round-arched doorway inside 1873 porch.
Porch bay has slightly jettied upper floor with elaborate half-
timbering and small-paned triple casement. Chimney on ridge
disguised as bellcote. Ground floor has round-arched doorway with
fanlight, raised piers each side with brackets to shallow flat hood
and flanking sidelights. West end has C20 lean-to conservatory.
To east is 2-storey and attic range raised up 1864 with slightly
higher roof, two hipped dormers, 16-pane sash each floor to right,
paired 8-pane sashes to first floor left and ground floor canted
timber bay added 1865, not aligned with window above.
Wiltshire Record Office has plans of 1864 by W. Slater for minor
alterations, including bay window and single storey projections to
north and west, and plans of 1872 by H. Weaver for porch bay, both
additions for Rev W.C. Plenderleath, vicar 1860-91. Plenderleath's
memoirs record more extensive alterations in 1864 by Slater.
(J.H. Blackford The Manor and Village of Cherhill 1941, 185-8.
Listing NGR: SU0378370089
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.