Description: Four Monuments in Churchyard to South of South Aisle of Church F St James
Date Listed: 25 November 1987
English Heritage Building ID: 316232
OS Grid Reference: SU0385270270
OS Grid Coordinates: 403852, 170270
Latitude/Longitude: 51.4314, -1.9460
CHERHILL THE STREET
SU 07 SW
9/108 Four monuments in churchyard
to south of south aisle of
Church of St James
Four chest tombs, C18 to early C19, ashlar. From west:
a) Pottow monument, later C18 with raised fielded centre plaque
each side flanked by fielded strips. Baluster angles, moulded
base and cornice with pulvinated frieze. South inscription to
H. Pottow, died 1788. `
b) K. Pottow monument, early C19, ashlar. Hexagonal plaque with
concave-curved sides on horizontally-fluted ground. Flanking
niches with draped urns to north, cherub heads and drapery to
south. End angle piers have carved classical trophies. North
inscription to Kezia Pottow died 1826.
c) Unidentified monument, early C19, with fluted frieze, slab
sides with low relief plaques and floral ornament between.
Anthemion and husk ornament angle piers. Oval end plaques
with plant sprays.
d) Unidentified monument, early C19, with plinth, base, cornice
and stepped ridged top. Baluster angles and sunk side plaques
with scroll motif to centre.
Listing NGR: SU0385270270
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.