Description: The Old Vicarage
Date Listed: 25 November 1987
English Heritage Building ID: 316353
OS Grid Reference: SU0179875266
OS Grid Coordinates: 401798, 175266
Latitude/Longitude: 51.4764, -1.9755
HILMARTON CALNE ROAD
SU 07 NW
6/226 The Old Vicarage
Former rectory, 1841 by G. Salway of Chippenham, squared rubble
stone with ashlar dressings, stone slate roof, coped gables and
parapets. Two storeys and attic, L-plan, tall proportions. Raised
plinth, band, moulded cornice and flush quoins. South front has
two-window range to left with rear stack, and slightly advanced
cross wing gable to right with coped shouldered gable and finial.
Band and cornice carried around. Cross wing has 16-pane sash each
floor in flush surrounds, smaller 16-pane sash to attic. Range to
left has 16-pane and 12-pane sashes above, 16-pane and half-glazed
door below. Door in ashlar enclosed porch with double doors in
plain raised surround, cornice and parapet. Cross wing has ridge
and north end stacks, east side originally 3-window range of
sashes, 12-pane to centre, 16-pane each side, but left sashes are
replaced by large shallow square bay with 16-pane sash, cornice and
shouldered gable. Plans for house dated 1839 are in Wiltshire
Record Office, though with cross wing to left rather than right.
Built for £1281/16/10d. Canon F. Goddard records alterations of
1858-9 by H. Weaver, these mostly removed.
(Wiltshire Record Office D/11/79; Canon F. Goddard, Reminiscences
of a Wiltshire Vicar 1928)
Listing NGR: SU0179275270
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.