Description: Providence Chapel and Manse
Date Listed: 17 January 1955
English Heritage Building ID: 316735
OS Grid Reference: ST9992279350
OS Grid Coordinates: 399922, 179350
Latitude/Longitude: 51.5131, -2.0025
ST 97 NE LYNEHAM BRADENSTOKE
7/47 No. 86, Providence Chapel and
Strict Baptist chapel and attached minister's house. Datestone
1777 in gable by Isaac Turner of Calne. Brick, stone quoins and
window dressings, stone rear wall, stone slate roof. Chapel, gable
to street with house to rear left, attached later. C19 gabled
porch. Chapel Flemish bond, tall windows with wood glazing bars
under segmental heads; key stones and abaci. Steep gable quarter-
hipped at apex, containing similar segmental headed sash window.
Crowning bellcote reconstructed c1960.
Interior remodelled early when access removed from original
position on side of building, again refitted c1926. Simple pews
and gallery over entrance. Clock and bell 1775 by John Broom of
Castle Combe. House 3 bay with gable stacks. Brick, sash
Monuments: EDWARD BRYANT, 1838 died 1782, and MAY his wife, shield
tablet with weeper leaning on urn in gable, bas relief. RICHARD
PRIOR 1791 by LOVATT of Bath (Thomas Lovatt). Prior gave land for
the cemetery at rear in 1778, see datestone reset in cemetery wall.
JOHN SUTTON 1828.
Listing NGR: ST9992279350
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.