Description: Church of St Bartholomew and All Saints
Date Listed: 17 January 1955
English Heritage Building ID: 316805
OS Grid Reference: SU0661282516
OS Grid Coordinates: 406612, 182516
Latitude/Longitude: 51.5415, -1.9060
SU 08 SE WOOTTON BASSETT HIGH STREET
(north west side)
11/123 Church of St Bartholomew and
Anglican parish church. C14, C15 and much restored 1869 - 71 by G.
E. Street. Coursed rubble limestone, stone slate roof. Two
parallel naves and independently roofed north aisle. South porch.
Chancel and Lady chapel, organ chamber, north vestry and west
tower. Exterior: nave 3-light Perpendicular windows and
parapet with many large gargoyles, all C15. Chancel 3-light
window c1300 with intersecting tracery and matching windows of C19.
South priest's door. Porch, C15, 2 storey, 2-light square headed
window to parvise and sundial in gable. Tower: 3 stages, upper
stages by Street, paired lancets, crenellated parapet and rounded
stair tower on north. Slated pitched roof. Interior: 5-bay
arcade, circular columns and capitals. South arcade C13 probably
heightened, with chamfered west respond. Arches have hollow
chamfers. North arcade similar but C19, when aisle added. Roofs:
C16 over naves, panelled and painted, north aisle C19 arch-braced
principal rafters. Chancel and Lady chapel, barrel and trussed
rafter roofs, Porch has lierne quadripartite vault on corbels with
skewed shields. Small stoup. Chancel encaustic tiles and choir
stalls. Pulpit: C15, timber, buttressed with tracery. Altered
C19 plinth and brass rail to steps. Font: C19 diapered tub, by
Street, carved by Earp, on clustered short columns.
Lectern: Brass, 1876. Rood stair to south nave arch and open
timber screen between Lady chapel and chancel. Low stone screen to
chancel. Reredos: 5 gabled bays, limestone, by Street, with marble
relief of Adoration by Earp of Lambeth. Glass: East window of
chancel, and of Lady Chapel 1871 by Hardman, depicting Tree of
Jesse and Prophets. Organ: Vowles of Bristol 1871. In north
aisle benefaction boards, Charles Pynner 1619 and two of c1680,
round headed, recording gifts inter alia of crimson damask, the
clock, and the Free School. In nave, west wall triptych of
commandments. Brass chandelier 1782. Houselling bench c1700; 2 no
stools also c 1700. C18 rectangular table with 22 twisted baluster
legs. Monuments in base of tower: 8 marble wall tablets HENRY
WILSON 1812, draped urn. MARY SMITH, 1813, pedimented. WILLIAM
IND, 1825, urn. THOMAS MAYRISS 1825; ELIZABETH FREAK, 1841 by
Reeves of Bath; Francis King, 1848, by Franklin; CHARLES MORETON
HUNT 1855; and BARTHOLEMEW HORSELL 1851, Gothic.
Sculpture: in parvise, fragment C10-Cll, winged biting dragon and
?tree of life.
(Reference: Pevsner N., Buildings of England, Wiltshire 596-7.)
Listing NGR: SU0661282516
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.