Date Listed: 24 July 1985
English Heritage Building ID: 316898
OS Grid Reference: ST8255168451
OS Grid Coordinates: 382551, 168451
Latitude/Longitude: 51.4148, -2.2523
ST 8268 BOX CHAPEL LANE
House, C16 and early C17, rubble stone, part ashlar fronted with
cement tile roofs. Two storeys, L-plan. Moulded coped west, north
and south gables, south rear wall stack. North front, apparently
C16 has very small unmoulded 2-light opening, small single light
and door in altered surround. West end wall has attic single light
with dripstone, first floor 2-light recessed ovolo-moulded window
and hoodmould and ground floor C20 window. Range at right angles
to north front is ashlar-faced with hollow-moulded recessed mullion
windows, 3-light and 2-light above, one 3-light below and door in
chamfered surround. First floor dripcourse. Ridge stack. Rear
wall of this range has one original 2-light window, 2 C19 casements
and casement in frame made up of reused pieces. South end gable
has hollow-moulded 2-light attic window, similar 3-light first
floor window both with hoodmoulds, and altered ground floor window.
Remains of a dripcourse at south-east angle. To left, door in
heavily chamfered frame with hood on brackets and window to left
with remains of hoodmould. Upper single light and 2-light hollow
moulded window. C20 casements throughout.
Interior has heavy tie beams and collar trusses to south range and
heavy purlins in east range. East range has baffle entry plan with
chamfered and stopped spine beams to north-east and south-east
rooms. North-east room has flush Tudor-arched stone fireplace with
moulded stone shelf. South-east first floor room has flush
chamfered shouldered stone fireplace with moulded shelf.
Marked on F. Allen map of 1630.
Listing NGR: ST8255168451
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.