British Listed Buildings

History in Structure

If you log in, you can comment on buildings, submit new photos or update photos that you've already submitted.

We need to upgrade the server that this website runs on. Can you spare a quid to help?.

Hazelbury Manor, Box

Description: Hazelbury Manor

Grade: I
Date Listed: 20 December 1960
English Heritage Building ID: 317005

OS Grid Reference: ST8352868382
OS Grid Coordinates: 383528, 168382
Latitude/Longitude: 51.4142, -2.2382

Location: Bathford, Bath and North East Somerset SN13 8HX

Locality: Box
County: Wiltshire
Country: England
Postcode: SN13 8HX

Incorrect location/postcode? Submit a correction!

Listing Text


2/143 Hazelbury Manor
(formerly listed as Hazelbury Manor
and Barn)

20 12 60


Manor House, C15 to C17, restored and enlarged 1920-25, rubble
stone and ashlar, part roughcast, with coped gables and ashlar
stacks. Two and a half storeys, courtyard plan. Great hall of
Croke family, owners from C13 to C15, probably incorporated in
present hall, c1500 for J. Bonham, wing to east probably early C16
as also wing to west but this probably raised after 1580. The west
side of the court, almost all of 1920-25 was probably of c1550
completed after 1580 for Sir J. Yonge, together with south-west
stair tower. North side of court wholly of 1920-25 is on C16
foundations. The restoration and enlargement were by Sir H.
Brakspear for G.J. Kidston. South front has C15 Great Hall marked
by a large battlemented canted bay and a 2-storey battlemented
porch tower, both of 1920-25, reconstructed from evidence of
foundations and carved fragments. To right, ashlar gable, early
C16, with 2 large 15-pane thick glazing bar sashes to each floor,
buttress between lower sashes and hoodmuold over upper pair. Thick
glazing bars here and elsewhere are of 1920-25 replacing later C18
or Cl9 sashes. East end wall stack with paired diagonal shafts.
Range running back has some c1500 Tudor-arched lights to courtyard.
Before 1919, range ended at very large ridge stack. East side has
wall-face stack, 3 upper windows, cyma-moulded, 2 lower c1920
Tudor-arched lights, original 2-light window and plank door with
pair of Tudor-arched window heads over lintel. West end of south
front has tall paired-gabled range with large central outside
stack, 2 late C16 recessed chamfered 3-light attic windows, two 18-
pane thick glazing bar sashes, and 2 ground floor leaded lights in
moulded frames. Coped east gable and east end stack. West garden
front has 5 gable range,2 original, with paired corniced stack on
rear roof slope, 3, with large ridge stack, added 1920-25.
Original gables have 3-light attic windows as on south front, each
over a pair of large 18-pane sashes restored 1920 and left side
sash added, and ground floor 2 single lights to right and two 2-
light windows to left. Circa 1920 stepped buttress at end of old
work. Circa 1920 range has recessed chamfered mullion windows
throughout and is roughcast to match original section. North front
of 4 gables, one and a half storeys, wholly 1920-25, also with
recessed chamfered mullion windows. In north-east corner late C20
swimming pool addition. Inner court has south side reconstructed
half stack, original c1500 Tudor-arched 4-light hall bay and c1580
flat-parapet stair tower with double-transom 2-light windows. To
left of stack restored later C16 upper 3-light mullion and transom
window with c1500 Tudor-arched light to right. Ground floor
passage is c1920-25. On west side, original only left end bay of
6-bay open segmental-pointed arcade and and one of the 3-light
mullion and transom windows, but the rest includes carved fragments
found and follows foundations. East side is original as far as
ridge stack. East of main house, short original range with upper
2-light window and hoodmould over open porch with long hood on
carved C18 brackets. A service range of c1920 links this section
to formerly detached 'Dower House', C17 house built for the Speke
family. Symmetrical double-fronted range with end wall stacks,
parapet and 2 coped gables to each side. Recessed chamfered
mullion windows with hoodmoulds, 2-light to attic, 3-light to main
floors. Central moulded Tudor-arched doorcase with hoodmould.
Relieving arches over ground and first floor openings. Rear is
similar, but 2 central stair lights over door and ground floor
casements. Parapet front and rear has 3 projecting stone rainwater
Interior: Original 6-bay double-purlin windbraced hall roof with
arch-braced collar trusses. Original Perpendicular style panelling
to arches to north and south hall bays. Timber screen and gallery
reused from house in Barnstaple. C17 staircase reused from house
in Shrewsbury, as also C17 panelling to upstairs room on west side.
East side dining room has fine early C17 stone fireplace, said to
'have been moved from the 'dower house' but possibly in situ, and
panelling reused from house in Shropshire. Upstairs, south-west
drawing-room has c1920 panelling and plaster, but reused shell
niche from former north-east kitchen. Fireplaces from the 'dower
house' and attics of main house reused in north wing. Hazelbury
Manor was visited by Queen Elizabeth I, 23 August 1575 and four
Somerset gentlemen were knighted there. The manor of Hazelbury
passed from the Croke family to the Bonham family c1500, was sold
in 1580 to Sir J. Yonge of Bristol and c1602 to Hugh Speke of
Ditteridge and c1725 to W. Northey. (Country Life 20 and 27
February 1926. G.J.Kidstone: A History of the Manor of Hazelbury

Listing NGR: ST8352868382

This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.

Source: English Heritage

Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.