Description: Converted Barn Range to West of Sheldon Manor
Date Listed: 20 December 1960
English Heritage Building ID: 317323
OS Grid Reference: ST8863674105
OS Grid Coordinates: 388636, 174105
Latitude/Longitude: 51.4658, -2.1650
CHIPPENHAM WITHOUT SHELDON
ST 87 SE
5/231 Converted barn range to west of
(formerly listed as 2 cottages and
20.12.60 stables at Sheldon Manor)
Range of 2 barns and outbuildings, 1723, altered 1911 and north end
rebuilt as cottage 1968. Rubble stone with stone-tiled roofs.
South end barn, now tea-shop, with projecting west side half-hipped
cart entry. Cart entry infilled and west side altered with
various stable openings. Blocked east side plain cart entry and
reused early C18 moulded doorcase with 9-panel door inserted from
demolished house at Allington Bar. Second barn, stepped up has
half-hipped west cart entry. converted to 2 cottages c1911, with
ridge stacks, 3 window range, 2 storey house to right of cart
entry, windows in cart entry, lean-to porch and dormer to left.
Rear wall has 2 narrow lights and reused 9-panel door and 2-light
mullion window with hood. North end, rebuilt 1968 by O.
Brakspear, has 2 dormer gables each side, mullion windows with
king-mullions and 2 segment-headed glazing bar windows to ground
floor west side. Running east, enclosing north side of Sheldon
Manor garden, single storey range of 4 open bays and enclosed stone
section with reused early C19 Gothic panelled door. Hipped east
gable. Stone section has west wall of thick masonry, part of a
pre-C17 building. Added at west end a C20 hipped roof
summerhouse, originally open to south, now glazed.
Listing NGR: ST8863674105
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.