Description: Church of St Mary
Date Listed: 20 December 1960
English Heritage Building ID: 317476
OS Grid Reference: ST8128877569
OS Grid Coordinates: 381288, 177569
Latitude/Longitude: 51.4968, -2.2709
NETTLETON WEST KINGTON
ST 87 NW
2/385 Church of St. Mary
Anglican Parish Church, C13 and C15 West tower, otherwise rebuilt
1856 by S. B. Gabriel of Bristol. Rubble stone with stone tiled
roofs. Fine 3 stage tower with top stage similar to those at
Yatton Keynell and Burton (Nettleton). South stair projection up
to 2nd stage. 2-light Y-tracery west window to first stage, small
single light cusped openings to second stage and ashlar C15 top
stage with panelled sides, 3 panels each of 2 tiers of paired
cusped panels, the upper centre pair a 2-light bell-opening with
pierced stone screens. High panelled battlements and crocketted
pinnacles. Body of church has nave and transepts of equal size,
narrower chancel, south porch and north east vestry. Windows of
Decorated type, generally 2-light with quatrefoil, some 3-light all
with hoods. Buttresses at angles. South doorway is reused C13
with circular shafts, square abaci and imposts with interlace
decoration and chamfered pointed arch.
Interior broad, aisleless with wide scissor-braced rafter roofs.
Tower arch has dogtooth ornament. Elaborate east window with
Purbeck shafting and painted texts to chancel walls. Stained glass
of c1856 by Bell of Bristol to east window, chancel north and south
and to west window. Fine C15 Perpendicular style wood pulpit with
ogee arches to panels. In south transept reset C16 wall monument
with relief figures to A. P. (probably Anne Prator). Various
tablets, mostly early C19 reset in tower.
Bishop Hugh Latimer(c1490-1555) was rector from 1531.
Listing NGR: ST8128877569
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.