Description: Church of St John
Date Listed: 9 December 1985
English Heritage Building ID: 317509
OS Grid Reference: ST8412274898
OS Grid Coordinates: 384122, 174898
Latitude/Longitude: 51.4728, -2.2300
NORTH WRAXALL FORD
ST 87 SW
4/418 Church of St. John
Anglican parish church, 1896-7 by C. E. Ponting, rock-faced rubble
stone with red plain tile roof. Free Perpendicular Gothic style.
Single overall roof, but cross gabled at west tower with shingled
spirelet, gables tile-hung with timber louvres. 2 large west
buttresses framing broad 4-light west window. South west porch in
angle to nave with coped gable shouldered over ashlar angle piers.
4-window nave of flat-headed 2-light windows. Nave framed by big
ashlar gabled buttresses, south west buttress carrying octagonal
stack, south east buttress with statue niche and crockets to gable.
North side buttresses are plainer and tiled. Stepped ashlar centre
buttress each side. Chancel is narrower with taller walls, 2
deep-set single lights with moulded arches over to south, one to
north and lean-to vestry. Gabled buttresses at east end. Broad
5-light east window with ogee hood and ashlar walling each side set
high. Foundation stone 1896 below.
Interior: Timber wagon roof, high timber screen and east window by
Morris & Co 1913. (Academy Architecture, 1898.)
Listing NGR: ST8411074901
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.