If you log in, you can comment on buildings, submit new photos or update photos that you've already submitted.
Description: Church of St Mary
Date Listed: 17 January 1955
English Heritage Building ID: 317924
OS Grid Reference: SU0968487173
OS Grid Coordinates: 409684, 187173
Latitude/Longitude: 51.5833, -1.8616
There is also a scheduled monument, Medieval Cross in St Mary's Churchyard, at the same location as this building or very close to it. This may be related in some way or possibly a different name for the same structure.
SU 08 NE PURTON CHURCH END
Church of St. Mary
Anglican parish church. C13, C14 and C15, restored 1872 by W.
Butterfield. Coursed rubble limestone with stone slate and lead
roofs. Nave and aisles, transepts and crossing with steeple.
Chancel, south porch and west tower. Exterior largely C15 three
and 4-light perpendicular windows, but south chapel east window
curvilinear, and north aisle west window reticulated. South porch
with angle buttresses, double chamfered door and transverse arch.
Chancel windows 2-light in deep casement moulded reveals. East end
rebuilt 1872. Central tower c.1325 with 2-light bell openings and
crenellated parapet and simple octagonal spire with angle rolls.
C15 west tower built on different alignment, 3 stages, with 3-light
bell openings with perforated stone screens. C15 west window and
door, with 3 canopied niches and single niche each on north and
south sides, all containing C20 statuary. Angle buttresses with
sundial and north stair turret. Crocketed corner pinnacles. This
unusual arrangement of spire and west tower only occurs elsewhere
at Wanborough and Ormskirk.
Interior: Nave of 3 bays. C13 round columns and capitals, with
possible C12 east respond on south, and with stiff leaf on north
side, heightened and carrying later C14 arches. Open arch braced
collar trussed rafter roof with collar purlin. Tall west tower
arch on 3-shafts, also later C14 or C15. Crossing C14 with
reserved chamfered arches without capitals. Octopartite vault
under tower. Transepts also with open trussed rafter roofs and
arches to east chapels, Piscina in south transept. Chancel C13,
one blocked window on north side only. Steps to east. Timber
barrel vault and sedilia, and triple piscina. Easter sepulchre on
north side. This work probably C14 reworked C19. Fine very
elaborate crocketed canopied niches on east wall with angel
corbels. South chancel chapel of 1-bay, with pitched roof. South
aisle also with independently pitched open trussed rafter roof with
archbraces and collars. North aisle, low pitched roof on chamfered
ties and purlins. North chancel chapel now organ chamber. Low
arch to transept. Chamber over porch with fireplace and angle
stair. Fittings: Simple octagonal limestone font at west end of
nave. Pulpit open C19 oak Gothic work with tester, carved tracery
on soffit. Wallpaintings: Nave arcade painted with blue and
yellow mouldings, and painted red coffering on soffit intrados.
Capitals background to stiff leaf coloured blue. South aisle has
freely interpreted Judgement scene over transept arch. Figure
displaying stigmata over south door with waterwheel etc in
background. Two further scenes in south transept. South chapel
has restored Death of the Virgin. Glass: Much fragmented C14-C16
glass assembled in south transept south window, and in head of
north side west window. Sculpture: Arch to north chancel chapel
has two C13-C14 heads probably reset, on jambs. Small Annunciation
scene, damaged, on crossing pier. North aisle has recessed C14
niche and similar niche in south porch, both with C20 figures.
Monuments: North aisle: wall tablet, C18. Stone slab on veined
marble. Pediment and bracketed shelf with apron. To SAMUEL
SHEPPARD, died 1782. On east wall, circular tablet, white marble
on black. Ivy wreath. To MATTHEW BIVASH, died 1839. Tablet,
white marble with fluted pilasters, to JOHN SADLER and family.
Also 6 various C19-C20 tablets and brasses on west wall. South
aisle: tablet, C18. White stone on veined marble. Broken double
pediment, bracketed shelf and apron, to ANTHONY BATHE, died 1769,
and family. Oval tablet, white on black marble, draped urn over
waiste shield, to WILLIAM LARGE, died 1810(?). Tablet, 1725,
limestone. Inscription in pilastered aedicule, broken segmental
pediment over and painted dado, to GEORGE STEPHENS, died 1712 and
family. South transept: Wall monument, C17. Black and white
marbles. Garlanded oval inscription, cherubs supporting arms
devolving into acanthus second garland knotted at base, to NEVILL
MASKELYNE, died 1679. Chaste tablet, grey and white marble. Latin
inscription on framed panel, pediment and acroteria, to NEVIL
MASKELYNE, astronomer royal, died 1811. Wall monument C19,
alabaster, with slate panel. Gilded inscription with eared
architrave. Fruit trail at sides. Pulvinus and pediment with
painted crest with two crested helms and obelisks at ends. To
ANTHONY MASKELYNE, barrister, died 1879. In chancel: wall tablet,
1845, black and white marbles, by Franklin of Purton, heavy
lettering in panel, cornice and arms over. Wall monument, C18,
white marble. Pedimented panel with moulded base. To CATHERINE
ASHLEY and family, died 1726. Crest over. South Chapel: wall
monument, C18. Veined marble with black detail. Inscription
within pilasters on dado, with pediment - To THOMAS RICHMOND - and
wall monument, C18, marble, open pediment over raised inscription
with rounded head, pilasters and apron below. To TOBY & ANN
(illegible) died 1718 and 1736. Oval tablet, C18, by Franklin.
White marble on black. Draped urn over shield with inscription, to
JOHN BRYANT, died 1793. North Transept: Tablet, C18 white marble
on black. Oval panel with wreath on top, inscription not legible.
Another similar, square panel with pediment and apron, also not
read. Under west tower, charity boards, 1778 (Hissocks Leaze),
1896 (Churchyard extension) and 3 further large boards in ringing
chamber, also former reredos triptych. Painting: over altar,
painting of Last Supper, Flemish, and on north wall, an Adoration.
(Pevsner, Buildings of England: Wiltshire.)
Listing NGR: SU0968487173
This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.