Description: Church of St John Baptist
Date Listed: 28 October 1959
English Heritage Building ID: 318001
OS Grid Reference: ST9172689270
OS Grid Coordinates: 391726, 189270
Latitude/Longitude: 51.6022, -2.1208
BROKENBOROUGH MAIN STREET
ST 98 NW
4/4 Church of St John Baptist
Anglican Parish Church. Early C13 origin with C14 and C15
additions; restored 1883 (date on rainwater heads). Squared and
coursed rubble with dressed stone quoins, ashlar to window
surrounds and copings, stone slate roofs. Nave, chancel, north
aisle, north porch, bellcote. Nave south side has one C19 three-
light Perpendicular style window under flat head with hoodmould and
a blocked pointed-arched doorway. Two-light C19 west window in
early Perpendicular style with face stops. Two-light C19 east
window to chancel in Decorated style with face stops. North aisle
has a mixture of C19 Tudor-arched 2-cusped-light windows and 3-
light Perpendicular style windows under flat heads. Tudor-arched
entrance to north porch and similar arch to doorway: plank door.
Weatherboarded bellcote with pyramidal stone slate roof and
weathercock. Sundial on east gable apex of north aisle, crucifix
on gable apex of chancel.
Interior. Early C13 four bay nave arcade to north aisle: circular
piers with circular abaci, round-headed arches and faces in the
spandrels. Coved, matchboarded roof to nave. Later C13 chancel
arch with pointed head. Trefoil-headed squint on north side of
chancel arch. Early English south window to chancel set in deep
reveal with a roll moulding and seat. Trefoil-headed piscina to
south wall. Plaster barrel vault. Coved matchboard to north aisle
roof. Fittings. Nave has Jacobean pulpit and 2 prayer boards on
the west wall. North aisle has Perpendicular font: octagonal bow
on pillar with quatrefoil panels, and a prayer board on north wall.
Chancel has three C17 wall tablets on south wall and a restored
reading desk with inset Jacobean panels dated 1641.
(N. Pevsner, The Buildings of England: Wiltshire, 1975)
Listing NGR: ST9172689270
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.