Description: Gateway Boundary Wall to the South of Norton Manor
Date Listed: 3 December 1986
English Heritage Building ID: 318056
OS Grid Reference: ST8851884362
OS Grid Coordinates: 388518, 184362
Latitude/Longitude: 51.5580, -2.1670
NORTON SHERSTON ROAD
ST 88 SE
5/59 Gateway and Boundary
Wall to the south of
Ornamental gateway and boundary wall. Gateway 1623, re-erected
and set in new boundary wall in 1901. Ashlar gateway, coursed
rubble wall with flush rusticated dressed stone quoins and ashlar
copings. Wrought iron gate and railings. Round-arched gateway
with moulded jambs, bracketed keystone, coved spandrels with
roundel decoration and gabled lintel with ball finials to ends.
Low wall ramped to gateway and at ends: ball finials to ends and
simple lance railings. Similar railings to gate. Gateway
resited during Captain C.H. Fenwick's ownership of Norton Manor
(q.v.), probably under the supervision of F.A. Lawson of Stroud.
See also corresponding gateway under Sherston Road (south side).
(June Badeni, Wiltshire Forefathers, 1960.)
Listing NGR: ST8851884362
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.