Description: Court House
Date Listed: 12 December 1951
English Heritage Building ID: 318096
OS Grid Reference: ST8522785960
OS Grid Coordinates: 385227, 185960
Latitude/Longitude: 51.5723, -2.2145
There is also a scheduled monument, Earthwork 200yds (180m) W of parish church, at the same location as this building or very close to it. This may be related in some way or possibly a different name for the same structure.
SHERSTON COURT STREET
8/99 Court House
Section of former Court House, now house and village store.
Probable C16 origin rebuilt in c1680, altered in the C19 and C20.
Squared and coursed rubble rendered to north front with steeply
pitched plain clay tile roof and 2 stone stacks, that to right with
brick cap. L-shaped plan incorporating Nos 1 and 3 Cliff Road
(q.v.). Two-storey, 5-bay range with 4-pane C19 sashes to ground
floor 2 left bays and upper windows; large shop windows to
remainder. Large, elegant shell hood on ornately carved brackets
to doorway off-set to left, 2-leaf glazed door. Moulded plinth,
coved cornice. East end wall has 2 glazed openings with blocked
stone surrounds and 2 flush cambered-headed strainer arches above
moulded first floor string course.
Interior. Ground floor room to left has late C17 plaster ceiling
with central floral rose, moulded oval compartment and fig and oak
leaf sprays in the 4 corners. Late C17 staircase with square
newels and turned balusters, dado panelling and concealed C17
fireplace in first floor room to left. Evidence of further plaster
ceiling now lost in ground floor shop. Vaulted lock-up in
basement. C17 roof structure survives.
(N. Pevsner, The Buildings of England: Wiltshire, 1975)
Listing NGR: ST8522785960
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.